In a world of constant changes and uncertainties, discovering a meaningful career goal is like finding a guiding star in a chaotic sky. With jobs changing overnight, searching for this important goal is a journey worth taking. As our lives go hand in hand with our work, let's learn how to create a career that matches who you truly are and what you want.
Enter the notion of career purpose - the compass guiding us to fulfilment. It’s a mosaic where your individual journey intertwines with the collective narrative, creating ripples of impact. Each role that embraces your passion and mirrors your values becomes a verse in this symphony.
The importance of finding career purpose in the workplace
Having a clear sense of career purpose can make a remarkable difference in your work life. When your job aligns with your personal values and passions, it brings about a sense of fulfilment that goes beyond just earning a paycheck.
We spend a substantial portion of our lives working – around 90,000 hours on average. Given the significant time we dedicate to our jobs, it's only natural to desire work that feels meaningful and satisfying. Having a career purpose adds depth and motivation to your daily tasks.
Studies, such as the research conducted by BetterUp, emphasise the impact of purpose at work. Employees who find their work meaningful tend to be more content and productive. This positivity leads to increased focus, better work performance, and fewer days off, resulting in an approximate $9,000 boost in productivity per employee annually.
Recent global events have transformed the job landscape and empowered workers to seek more meaningful employment. The phenomenon dubbed "The Great Resignation" has encouraged individuals to reconsider their career paths and prioritise job satisfaction.
Beyond conventional job benefits, factors like work meaning, empowerment, and overall well-being have come to the forefront for job seekers. Finding work that resonates with your purpose can not only lead to personal growth but also contribute to a more engaged and productive workforce.
Discovering your career purpose
Finding meaning in your work is a journey that can lead to greater satisfaction and fulfilment. Follow these five steps to uncover your career purpose:
- Unearth your passion. Begin by identifying what truly ignites your enthusiasm. Pursue a career that resonates with your passions rather than just chasing a paycheck. If you're unsure, career assessments or mentorship can provide valuable insights.
- Merge passion with purpose. Combine your passion with a sense of purpose. Seek a role that aligns with your values and contributes to personal fulfilment. Consider factors like job enjoyment, suitability, compensation, meeting needs, and giving back to others.
- Recognise impact on others. Reflect on how your work benefits people, even indirectly. Recognize the value you bring to customers or clients, whether you provide a service or contribute to their success. Viewing your role from their perspective can reveal its meaningful aspects.
- Seek purposeful organisational culture. Look for organisations that share your desire to make a positive impact. Choose companies that champion causes you believe in, such as community involvement, diversity, and social responsibility.
- Extend purpose beyond work. Explore ways to use your career to benefit the community. Mentor students, volunteer, or leverage your skills to assist others. Many companies support community service, and you can also contribute during your free time.
In a world where job satisfaction and personal fulfilment are paramount, discovering your career purpose is an invaluable pursuit. By aligning your passions, values, and impact, you can find a path that not only rewards you but also contributes positively to the world around you.